- Heat olive oil and butter in saute pan on medium-high heat. Should you happen to have a small minced shallot on hand, throw that in--I didn't tonight, and life was still worth living.
- Pat large scallops dry, season with salt and pepper and place in hot pan for about 3 minutes.
- Cook thin spears of asparagus ever-so-briefly in the microwave.
- Turn scallops over and sear on second side for 2 minutes max.
- Use this time to pour yourself a glass of wine.
- Remove scallops to hot plate. Add about 2 tablespoons of vermouth or white wine and 1 tablespoon of butter to hot pan, cooking a minute or two until liquid is reduced and syrupy. Note: this is where people who like lemon (not me) add some. Pour sauce over scallops.
- Eat. If you're like me, have a second glass of wine. If you're a boy, serve with a hot, crusty roll and butter.
- Later: wish you had thought to buy cookies for dessert.
Related Posts: Ok, I Like Ramen as Much as the Next Girl
You've Never Had a Cookie Like This
Like this post? Stumble or Tweet it! (please) and follow 50+ on Facebook or Twitter.